Step 1. Getting prepared
You will need to create a Wikidot account first. Go to this page, and if you see the following message, click on "Get a new Wikidot account". When you've created your account, you can move on to Step 2.
Taking the Tour: If you haven't yet, we strongly recommend that you Take a Tour of what Wikidot has to offer you. Even if you've created Wikidot sites before, you may find it interesting!
Step 2. Entering settings for your new site
Once you have created a Wikidot account, go back to the page from Step 1 to begin creating your new site:
We'll give a short description for each of the input fields that you are presented with when creating your new site:
- Site title: This field allows you to choose what your new Wikidot site will be named, for example "My Wikidot Site".
- Tagline: The tagline is a short description that will appear beneath your site title, and tells visitors what your site is about in a few words. The tag line is optional.
- Web address: This is the location on the Internet that you'll be able to find your Wikidot site after it's created! It is a sub-domain of Wikidot.com, which means that it will be something like "example.wikidot.com" (if you type 'example' into the text field).
Only alphanumeric characters and the dash character is allowed. That means you can use any lowercase letter of the alphabet, any number, or the "-" dash character.
- Site content language: This can not be changed later! This allows you to set your website up as being either English or Polish. You are allowed to use any language for your website's content, but this choice determines what language the error messages and site manager will use.
- Access policy This is where you decide what type of website you'd like to create. If you want something that is visible to everyone, choose "Open" or "Closed". If you want a website that is visible only to site members, choose "Private". You can find out more about access policies on the appropriate page.
- Please confirm: You are required to read and agree with the Terms of Service before you can create your first Wikidot site.
It is strongly recommended that you read the Terms of Service. We're not just saying that because we want you to read it! The Terms of Service tells you what you are and are not allowed to use your Wikidot site for, and well as a wealth of other information.
NOTE: The "Site title", "Tagline", "Web address" and "Access policy" can all be changed after you create your website using the Site Manager. You'll find a link to the site manager in the sidebar menu of your new Wikidot site!
If you are having trouble finding something in the Site Manager, you can ask the community for help!
Step 3. Welcome!
Once you have completed all of those fields and have clicked on the button to confirm your settings, you are well on your way to creating your own website or wiki at Wikidot!
Congratulations, and welcome to the Wikidot Community!
You will be redirected to the home page of your new site. This is called the start page because it is located at "example.wikidot.com/start"
Your next step is: First Steps On A New Wiki